Back in May, I posted some pictures of some wild growth of my rose Tradescant that I called a Monster Rose. Through the help of others we identified that what was affecting my roses was Rose Rosette Disease or RRD. RRD (Rose Rosette Disease) causes a form of growth that is a hyper frenzied growth that is sometimes referred to as Witches' Broom. Since that time I have been on the look out for RRD and found it this winter on the one rose that was at our home before we moved here. It was growing in two spots on a plant of Blaze Improved. Isn't Blaze Improved what people grew before Knock Out?
http://www.rosegeek.com/ . I encourage you to read her site to understand just how pervasive Rose Rosette Disease is becoming. One interesting feature of the growth is that generally as a branch grows further out the growth becomes smaller. On a RRD affected plant the growth seems to get larger and sends out more growth than can be sustained. I have pulled off some of the leaves so you can see exactly what I am talking about.
From the Spring I had three affected plants: Tradescant, Buff Beauty, and Lavender Lassie. I was not willing to give up on these plants and follow the advice given - to dig up and throw out the affected plants. So I cut off all the affected areas in an attempt to save the plants. Of the three I lost both Tradescant and Buff Beauty. So far it looks like Lavender Lassie will be saved. Below is a picture of the last part of Tradescant that was dug out and thrown away. I continually cut the plant back to just find more growth the next time I went out to see the plant.