Tuesday, May 31, 2011

DayDreaming

I decided it was unfair of me to post my picture of one bloom on my tiny plant of DayDream and you to have that as your primary impression of the rose.  I think of DayDream being more like Ballerina but much healthier.  So while in OKC, I took my camera to the Oklahoma City Rose Garden to get a better picture of the plant's growth habit for you.  It looks like I was a week or two too late for the show but it will be putting on its second flush before too long.  Still, I think this will give you an idea just how dense growing this rose is.
In the planting above I simple could not tell for certain but it appears to be a single row of four or five plants but the growth is so dense and spreading that you just can not tell.  

DayDream blooms in large clusters of small 1 1/2 inch blooms with maybe 50-100 blooms in a cluster.  Each bloom is single with 5-10 petals in the magenta range of colors.  Each flower is open for about 5 or 6 days.  In this picture I was able to find a nice cluster still in bloom.

I hope this gives you a better picture of what the mature rose is like.  Can you imagine if I had been able to get a picture a week or two earlier?

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Scott! I love seeing whole bush shots like this. It really helps. Beautiful flowers and I love the color of Day Dream.
    I hope your family and friends are all safe after the tornadoes that plowed though your state. The thoughts and prayer of so many are with everyone effected by those extraordinary storms.
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete